Hi everyone and welcome back to my blog! When I was trying to figure out what my next post would be about I decided I wanted to do something a little bit different. So, I thought it would be fun to see if I can create a full makeup look but one side of my face had to be entirely drugstore (priced) products and the other side had to be more high end or pricier things. I know this isn’t anything new but I wanted to see if I could actually get the two sides to look the same and if I even had enough makeup to be able to do both sides completely. (Which I didn’t but luckily I have sisters who I could borrow things from!)
So here’s the makeup I used on each side and let’s see if you can guess which side is which!
|Brows||Nyx Tame and Frame Eyebrow Pomade in Brunette & Nyx Brow Cake Powder in Brunette
Nyx Control Freak Brow Gel
|Anastasia Dip Brow Pomade in Medium Brown
Make Up Store Eyebrow Gel
|Eyes||LA Girl Pro Conceal in Porcelain as eyeshadow primer
W7 In the Nude palette
Maybelline Black Kohl pencil on upper waterline
Nyx Jumbo eye pencil in Milk on lower waterline
Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara
|Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion in Eden
Buxom Dolly’s Wild Side eyeshadow palette
No7 Black Kohl liner on upper waterline
FÄRG’s First Date Liner in Hyperflex Nude on lower waterline
Estee Lauder Pure Color Envy Lash mascara
|Base||Kicks Blur Primer
Maybelline Fit Me Luminous + Smooth foundation in 110
Maybelline Fit Me concealer in 05
RCMA colourless powder
|Smashbox Photo Finish Primer
Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation in 1N1
Smashbox Studio Skin concealer in Fair
Sensai Loose Translucent Powder
|Face|| Max Factor Creme Bronzer in 05 Light Gold
Max Factor Creme Puff Blush in 15 Seductive Pink
Sleek Solstice Highlighting palette
| Becca Bronzer in Bronzed Bondi
Natasha Denona Blush Duo Palette no 10 in shade 02 toutou
Becca Highlighter in shades Icicle and Rose Quartz
|Lips||Rimmel Lasting Finish lipstick by Kate Moss in shade 40||Charlotte Tilbury Hot Lips Lipstick in Kim K W|
From a distance I don’t think there’s a noticeable difference between the two sides, but looking close up I can definitely see some inconsistencies. So I thought I’d give you my thoughts on which side I feel looked better before I reveal which side is which!
- The drugstore brow is a little warmer in colour than the high end side, but that doesn’t really bother me. However, the Nyx pomade was pretty patchy on its own meaning I had to go over it with a brow powder. This left a more even result. Although, I had no high end brow powder so that has to be taken into account.
- The lipstick’s are different colours, the Rimmel is more nude whereas the Charlotte Tilbury is definitely more pinky. I didn’t keep the makeup on long enough to test which wore better but I already know that I prefer the Kim K W formula because I feel like it wears better, whereas whenever I’ve wore the Rimmel one it’s always like separated and I’ve had to take it off within a few hours. 🙁
- The matte shades in the W7 palette actually blended just as well as the Buxom shadows, but they turned out far more pink than they appeared in the pans. However, the Buxom shadows were the same colour on the lid as they appeared in the pan. Also, the shimmery shades in the W7 palette weren’t as pigmented as those in the Buxom.
- This was also my first time using concealer as eyeshadow primer and it actually worked really well! It wasn’t as thick as the UD one, so I’ll definitely be experimenting a little to see if the eyeshadow lasts as long on top of a concealer!
- Finally, and I think most importantly, is the difference in how the primer, foundation and powder worked together. My pores and uneven skin texture is much more visible on the drugstore side whereas the high end side my skin almost looks airbrushed. Right now, I’m not sure if that’s down to just one of the three products or a combination. But, I do know I much preferred the feel and effect of the Kicks primer over the Smashbox one, it just felt sort of greasy to me…
So are you ready to see which side is which?
Did you guess it right? I’d love to hear what you thought about this post and if you’ve ever tried this challenge! So let me know in the comments below!